Strange problem of stalling at 96%

Other platforms, generic questions.
slackhead

Strange problem of stalling at 96%

Post by slackhead »

Often I get a good speed and good many peers with 100% content for a download, but at around 96% or so the speed will drop to a crawl and the download never ends.

Sometimes pausing and unpausing will work, but rarely.

Any ideas on why this is happening or what I can do to diagnose this?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Strange problem of stalling at 96%

Post by Peter »

Every torrent client slows down at the end, because you request pieces from the users always.
When you reach the end, you want to download X given pieces, from a lot of users.
But as the closer you get, the less pieces you need. Those pieces have to be received to complete the download.

Imagine like downloading from a thousand users. It's fast. And then, you have only 4% left, with like 50 users. All of them have a slow ADSL connection, and all their upload speed is used. Then you must wait for the pieces patiently.

(But again. Try it with a different client. Just to make it sure.)
slackhead

Post by slackhead »

Two things that I've noticed. I can leave a torrent downloading for hours and it still never completes.

Yesterday I retried the same torrent without deselecting any files (I had previously deselected some). The torrent downloaded fine.

I need to test a bit more but it could be something to do with not downloading all the content.
catweazle

Post by catweazle »

Have noticed the same problem.
With uTorrent no problem.

Re-checking cured the problem for a while...
(Torrent contains many files)
slackhead

Post by slackhead »

I just tested a torrent containing many files and the same happens: if you deselect any then the download never completes. Reselecting the files allows the torrent to finish. I guess this should now be a bug report.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

@slackhead, thanks a lot for your contribution.