Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

Calidude

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by Calidude »

[quote="TheMinecrafter"]
Yeah, I would agree with you that the status icons need to be smaller. And I think the jaggies is from the compression from imgur. A copy of it uncompressed is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... kup3.0.png

Also, as it is a mockup, I made something that looks close to what I think the interface would look like, I wasn't expecting it to be perfect.
[/quote]
Good effort but I think the black icons on the buttons seem too out of place, like they belong in another, higher contrast theme.

Maybe tone down the black a little into a really dark gray? Like the gear symbol on the settings button?
cynicist

Post by cynicist »

I don't understand this thread, are the complaints for the UI mostly from the Windows side? In Ubuntu I think it looks perfect. :)
Attachments
qbittorrent.png
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="cynicist"]
I don't understand this thread, are the complaints for the UI mostly from the Windows side? In Ubuntu I think it looks perfect. :)
[/quote]

Yes, Windows basically, except for the hardcoded font colors and some hardcoded icons that don't inherit from the used icon theme.

Poll for font colors: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2509.0.html
cynicist

Post by cynicist »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Yes, Windows basically, except for the hardcoded font colors and some hardcoded icons that don't inherit from the used icon theme.

Poll for font colors: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2509.0.html
[/quote]

Thanks, I added my opinion and vote to that thread. The hardcoded icons bothered me at first just because they weren't inherited, but their colorful design actually fits into Ubuntu's default theme really well so after getting used to them I actually prefer them being somewhat unique. As far as font colors go, I'm just happy that they exist. It's such a great way to view the state of each torrent at a glance. (and orange/red/grey also fit well into Ubuntu)

This is a bit selfish since I'm sure the situation is less pleasant for Windows users but given how well it fits in Ubuntu I'd be ok with no change at all lol. Do you use Ubuntu yourself, or did the default theme just happen to fit in really well?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="cynicist"]
[/quote]
How can you think that looks perfect when the category buttons are a mishmash of conflicting colors? Also, yes, this is a Windows complaint.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

I didn't want to make another thread, so I'll just ask in this thread.

What UI changes can we expect for qBit 3.2?
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

My problem is that the fonts in the main window are too dim and hard to read.  They need more contrast.

The inactive torrents are in light grey, and the active ones are in light orange, against a white background.  Whoever came up with these colors is a sadist and masochist.
Can't you guys give us some options for the color settings?

What's especially annoying is that the setting for "Use alternating row colors" doesn't work for me. 

I agree that the UI is functional, but still not 100% usable.  I've always been against this kind of "one size fits all" mentality.  This is why, for example, I'll always choose Firefox over any other browser - you can customize it any way you want. 
Let us be able to reconfigure the UI the way we like it. 
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... l#msg10463
[/quote]
That's only the text colors. What about icons, buttons, etc?
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

Would't it be better to just let people create their own skin/themes and share them?

Honestly the Ubuntu UI looks amazing compare to the current one on windows.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="dragons4life"]
Honestly the Ubuntu UI looks amazing compare to the current one on windows.[/quote]
This is what is strange to me. The Ubuntu UI looks so much better than the Windows UI and that shouldn't be the case. They should look equally good, and it can be done by simply adding native buttons and elements to the Windows port, modern icons, a better color scheme, and then remove all of the extra space in the UI in order to tighten it all up.

Whenever I use the Linux version I'm left wondering why the Windows port gets so little attention when the Windows users are the ones who will will make qBittorrent the most popular open source torrent client in the world. 
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Whenever I use the Linux version I'm left wondering why the Windows port gets so little attention when the Windows users are the ones
QT, the "framework" the UI is built on, comes from a mainly Linux camp.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

ciaobaby wrote:
Whenever I use the Linux version I'm left wondering why the Windows port gets so little attention when the Windows users are the ones
QT, the "framework" the UI is built on, comes from a mainly Linux camp.
It's also a framework that also works very well on all platforms. Some of the best Windows software is Qt based. There's no reason qBittorrent can't look great on Windows.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Then I guess you will have to ask Christophe why he didn't make it "pretty" when he created the UI originally.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The non-nativeness you're refering to actually comes from the weird icons used.
If you observed closely the various widgets are native. The icons just look out of place.
That's what I am planning to change in the next version.