Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

100%

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by 100% »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Then maybe, the best option is to allow the user to set them through the settings dialog...[/quote]

If it's not too much trouble - then it seems to me it's the best option by far.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="100%"]
Then maybe, the best option is to allow the user to set them through the settings dialog...[/quote]

If it's not too much trouble - then it seems to me it's the best option by far.
[/quote]

Sounds like the first tiny step towards a more bloated future for qBittorrent.
..Better just leave the icons the way they are IMO.
Don't waste time on BS features!
Last edited by Tomaso on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Well actually I was talking about the text colors not the icon colors. Yes you are right about the step in the bloatware universe.
I am curious with the current settings downloading torrents have black text normally, how do they appear under dark themed environments?
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Well actually I was talking about the text colors not the icon colors. Yes you are right about the step in the bloatware universe.
I am curious with the current settings downloading torrents have black text normally, how do they appear under dark themed environments?
[/quote]
As I've said previously we can use QStyle CSS and set it with QApplication::setStyle
100%

Post by 100% »

It's important to maintain the right balance, more customization options vs. bloatware. It would be nice to have an option to choose the text color, but it's not essential by any means.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Dayman"]
[/quote]
As I've said previously we can use QStyle CSS and set it with QApplication::setStyle
[/quote]

How would that solve the problem with dark themes? I mean we would set the text color black in the CSS and when the user used a dark theme it would still be black. It would be nice to have a method that would find out the color of the background and use the opposite of it as text color. eg black background=white text.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[/quote]

Dark themed environments changes colors itself according to their color scheme.
And yes - i don't use the top toolbar (i hide it), so i don't care too much about the icons. But IMHO the top toolbar of qBittorrent 2.x.x (orb icons) was much better than the current.
UsL

Post by UsL »

[/quote]

As long as no text or radio button is hard coded black, text and buttons will follow the desktop theme. So I have for instance green text and grey frames as text and buttons. Uploading torrents have orange text.

Qt is very good at this. Compared to some GTK programs I used which does not follow desktop themes and allows hard coded black text. PyGTK is especially affected by that. So I can't use Gajim but I can use Pidgin for instance.

I just think the icons style are a bit off. Some inconsistencies.Like the left panes icons doesn't match all the icons in the torrents field. And 'Labels' icon is the same as Folder content icon.

Personally I could do without icons completely and only look at what colour the torrents text is to see status. As long as no one is hard coded black ofc.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

I have a question: what about upgrading to Qt 5.1? That will make things easier, right? Pardon my ignorance if that is not the case.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Calidude"]
I have a question: what about upgrading to Qt 5.1? That will make things easier, right? Pardon my ignorance if that is not the case.
[/quote]

http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topic=1921.0
Giga

Re: qBittorrent Needs A More Modern Look - What Do You Think?

Post by Giga »

Hi all

I replaced all icons with new ones (expect for unique icons, such as the logos of qBittorrent)

http://thomasvanhoutte.be/Icons.zip

All icons should have the same height/width and name as the original ones. Furthermore, I optimized the images; the images are smaller (50kb in total) but of course without quality loss.

A user on Neowin (http://www.neowin.net/news/qbittorrent-3010) will also (try to) compile qBittorrent for me with these new icons.

Cheers
Giga

Re: Re: qBittorrent Needs A More Modern Look - What Do You Think?

Post by Giga »

KaoDome, a user on Neowin, has build a x64 version of qBittorrent with the new icons.
I replaced the original icons by new icons from two different icon sets that were free to use (credits added, though). No worries, the sets fit together perfectly - I think.
As you can see, some icons still need to be replaced since there was no alternative in both the icon sets. I'll try to replace those with appropriate ones if I can find them and they fit the other icons ;)

I get in touch with KaoDome who compiled this to ask if he can post the exe here so others can try qBittorrent with the new icons as well.
Feel free to download the compiled exe here: https://copy.com/Qf6lfTpds3md
Note from KaoDome: "Note that the binary was made to be Windows 7+ though, so it may or may not work in previous versions of Windows (maybe in Vista, unlikely in XP). The installer should always install in "Program Files" but it doesn't check whether there is a previous (32-bit) installation or not, it was more of a quick change to get it to install and use the right part of the registry."

Any feedback would be very welcome!
Attachments
3.png
2.png
1.png
Last edited by Giga on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Re: qBittorrent Needs A More Modern Look - What Do You Think?

Post by loki »

Looking at strictly icons or do you mean the green border too? The green border/theme reminds me of linux mint.

The icon for bittorrent doesn't make sense to me, it's like a wifi icon? And the webui/tracker/http icon doesn't really work either to me. It's more of an icon for NAS which is less accurate than the original icon.

The label and rename icons look better.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

@giga I'll comment about the changes tomorrow

In the meantime you can tell KaoDome, to take a look here and here.

Also tell him that I invite him to join us here in the forums. Thanks for the interest.
Giga

Post by Giga »

Loki, the green border is just the colour scheme I use in Windows 8.
You are right about the icons. The thing is, I replaced the icons by reading the names of the files, so sometimes I had to guess what icon would fit.

Sledgehammer, ACK