feature request - on/off DHT for separate torrent

Post by SergMarkov »

private tracker requires such a possibility
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: feature request - on/off DHT for separate torrent

Post by Peter »

The torrent is marked private once you upload it to a private tracker.
Also: When you open a torrent from a private tracker, it'll come with DHT disabled.
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

just downloaded the torrent from demonoid and restart the torrent it was involved DHT
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

The torrents I have downloaded from demonoid had DHT enabled by default even right now (just tested), same with uTorrent so it isn't qBittorrent's fault. Im not sure how demonoid goes with private thing but I can go there search and download the torrent without any private rules or problems, with few exceptions sometimes which require you to be logged in (are private, I guess). Im using 2 private trackers myself and DHT is always disabled automaticly. Maybe some torrents use DHT and some not at demonoid, not sure though.
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

In any case, for the correct ratio calculations need to have a possibly disabling DHT even if it is enabled
loki

Post by loki »

I don't use demonoid but their torrents are not marked or created "private" therefore DHT is allowed on them, if you don't like the way they run their site, don't use it... simple as that. Can't fault the torrent clients for that.
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5006 ... 499cff.png
It is demoniod torrent in qbittorrent. It is private torrent and DHT disabled, but restart the torrent it was involved DHT
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

No problems here with private torrents and im still seeding after several restarts (just tested, not with demonoid cause im not using their site for ''private'' torrents). Yes loki i've tested myself also with going to demonoid and downloading few torrents and all was using DHT as I have mentioned with my first reply so im not sure what or which torrents are private there and alot of them are simpy not. You can turn off DHT in settings if you want it that much to be disabled and later enable if you want thats what I would do. By the way also try to get a green connection mark instead of yellow which confirms that your ports are set correctly, shows at your picture.

qBittorrent:

uTorrent:

I tested with uTorrent also to see if it gets disabled there but still DHT is active automaticly. And yes this is a random torrent from demonoid.

I also did a little google work to see if it is private or not:
It was. It's nearer to public now though. New torrents are available to non-registered users. However, to access old torrents you need an account. So it's both public and private.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

turn off DHT in settings for all torrents
I specifically chose a new torrent - 2012 year. Google can say whatever you want, but even new torrents are  the private and disabled DHT. DHT activated after the restart the torrent, perhaps due to the connection of new peers, modify the torrent file. The reason this case is not as important as the fact that DHT is enabled on a private torrent and prevents the correct ratio calculation.
It is therefore necessary to turn off DHT for single torrent. How does me not care utorrent, I do not use it
Last edited by SergMarkov on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Hmm.. okay. Im not using uTorrent neither only tested to show you if you did read carefully. Its funny that I can go there and download torrents with DHT already working which isn't private and you say it can't so it has to be semi private where some torrents are private. But if you say ''Google can say whatever you want'' well :) you can too, me too, everyone can. Was only a search to confirm that demonoid is not private only that they also have public torrents. We also know that private = DHT disabled.. Im not using demonoid anyway, only trying to help you. You can go to the official bugtracker and tell your story there where it gets more attention and if its necessary it might be implented/added https://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

Sorry, I just do not understand the problem, add a dozen lines of code is easier to author than I understand the whole project. The problem DHT is to fix it is not difficult
loki

Post by loki »

I don't see it as a problem so good luck with your endeavor getting it implemented for "you"
SergMarkov

Post by SergMarkov »

The vast majority of the same problem will not be writing to the forum but simply refuses to use qbitorrent, while you're looking for justification of why the problem can not be solved.
loki

Post by loki »

If all other programs have the same functionality I guess they'll either have to learn to live with the current "normal" functionality or give up on torrents all together...
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

We can't do it for you, we ain't programmers so don't expect us to implent it cause we can't. We already shared our tips and advices and even did my own research for you how demonoid works and that it isn't private only site but im getting the idea that you won't even read my answers clearly. Trust me, the vast majority loves to use qBittorrent and we are happy that there is such a great Open Source alternative. And also you are the first to write about this so for the ''vast majority'' like you say, it works flawlessly. Private torrents gets DHT disabled automaticly, but many torrents at demonoid are NOT private and are using DHT. Thats how they are created and thats why DHT gets used. If you still want DHT disabled then go to settings and turn it off. This isn't clients fault.

If you want to make a request/idea/tip/bug follow the bugtracker that I've poster earlier, simple and solved.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.