Blocklists - URLs and Automatic Update missing?

Other platforms, generic questions.
RanceJustice

Blocklists - URLs and Automatic Update missing?

Post by RanceJustice »

I registered specifically in regards to this issue. It does not seem to me, that QBT is capable of refreshing/updating a blocklist (as of 3.0 RC5, Windows variant).  Am I correct that a user must manually download a blocklist to a given location and then import it into qBT?  This is a major impediment to the ease and quality of use for whom privacy is important. Many other clients such as Transmission, Deluge, Ktorrent, and even some proprietary clients allow a user to input a URL leading to a blocklist file that the client will then (assuming compatible format of said blocklist) automatically connect to and import the IP Filter either on-demand or at varying intervals (Having at least "1 Day" intervals plus the option to "Update/Import at Startup" I feel is frequent enough).    Attempting to place a URL of a known viable list and then hit the update button will produce a pop-up notice saying "IP Filter Updated: 0 Rules Imported" or somesuch, so it clearly isn't working now with a URL, even manually hitting the update button.  A related change that will greatly improve this function is to allow qBT to import from .gz/.zip/.7z archives at the vast majority of blocklists are provided in some sort of compressed format (see lists at Bluetack or iBlocklist)

qBittorrent looks to be a very promising client, but the lack of a proper updating filter impairs my ability to make use of it.  Security and privacy is of the highest priority to many Bit Torrent users these days, and having easy to interact blocklists is nearly as important as a client being open source in my opinion.  Would this be an issue that could be remedied swiftly for version 3.0? Perhaps looking into Transmission, KTorrent, Deluge, OneSwarm  and other open source clients could provide an easy implementation?  Perhaps going "one better" and including  (or providing a pre-installed plug-in) would be to have a selection of "preloaded" links to blocklists like those from iblocklist.com/bluetack the user could choose, with some information on  the differences between them? 

Please consider swiftly including this important quality-of-use and security feature. Thank you.
Last edited by RanceJustice on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Blocklists - URLs and Automatic Update missing?

Post by loki »

I just use peerblock, if you haven't heard of or used it before, it's a system-wide blocklist... therefore not just torrent program blocking. If you're concerned enough about security/privacy for torrents you might as well just apply it to the whole system.
Last edited by loki on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RanceJustice

Re: Blocklists - URLs and Automatic Update missing?

Post by RanceJustice »

Peerblock and similar projects can be useful, but they can ultimately become more troublesome than not when applied to general use. For instance, I may not want my torrent client to be connecting to a known Time Warner IP block, but browsing to Comcast account pages on Firefox to see about an upgrade isn't an issue.    In addition, I often run many a client from a box designed to act as NAS/LAN Server etc... and being able to configure the blocklist from within the client (with a WebUI I can turn on and off at will) as opposed to having to run PeerBlock/PeerGuardian on the box itself, have a way to get to it remotely and "manage" it so that it won't impede any of the other actions.  Peerblock can often be a sledge when I need a very particular watchmaker's mallet.

Other top-tier clients (including open-source ones) have this functionality and I can see many benefits and no detriments for qBittorrent adopting it as well, at very least. Going a step further as I suggested, such as including a comprehensive blocklist selection/update tool integrated (or perhaps an "easy" bandwidth measurement test, while I'm thinking of it) will definitely help qBT to rise and take away marketshare from feature-rich proprietary clients, as well as stand out from other FOSS offerings.