Who builds the installers and how?

Other platforms, generic questions.
utmtvyqsidvshovxbq

Who builds the installers and how?

Post by utmtvyqsidvshovxbq »

I haven't found any public build process for the installers available on FossHub/SourceForge. Who's building them and is there any way to verify that they're actually built from the code from the GitHub repo?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Who builds the installers and how?

Post by Peter »

To verify, please use the keys, fingerprints and SHA values presented on the main website.
The process is detailed here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... c-linkage)

> I haven't found any public build process for the installers available on FossHub/SourceForge.
The installer is included in the Github source.

> Who's building them and is there any way to verify that they're actually built from the code from the GitHub repo?
You can only be sure that the installer has not been tampered with (see above). It is often really hard to produce an identical binary. I'd recommend simply compiling your own version using the Github source, using the steps on the link above.
utmtvyqsidvshovxbq

Re: Who builds the installers and how?

Post by utmtvyqsidvshovxbq »

Thanks for the reply! ;D
Peter wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:04 pm To verify, please use the keys, fingerprints and SHA values presented on the main website.
The process is detailed here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... c-linkage)
I always verify the SHA256 value with the installer I’ve downloaded. On that note, how come the SHA256 isn’t on GitHub as well?
Peter wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:04 pm The installer is included in the Github source.
The final .exe or .dmg? Maybe I misunderstood, but I don’t see it in the .zip here.
Peter wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:04 pm You can only be sure that the installer has not been tampered with (see above). It is often really hard to produce an identical binary. I'd recommend simply compiling your own version using the Github source, using the steps on the link above.
That’s true. I was just wondering who builds it for FossHub every release and if that specific build process was public somewhere for anyone to verify that the installers are indeed built from source.