Optimize settings

Other platforms, generic questions.
j1simon

Optimize settings

Post by j1simon »

I have a high speed fiber connection. My download speed is 925 Mbps and upload speed is 864 Mbps. Measured on the web speedtest.net using a nearby server.
I have defined my global rate limits in qBittorrent to 675000 KiB/s upload (80%) and 858154 KiB/s download (95%).
But I don't know how to calculate the values in the Connection tab: "Global maximum number of connections", "Maximum number of connections per torrent", "Global maximum number of upload slots" and "Maximum number of upload slots". I currently have these options unchecked:
2022-03-12_15-39.png
2022-03-12_15-39.png (62.02 KiB) Viewed 7894 times
Is there an updated rule to calculate these values? Do I leave them unchecked? Do I set them to the default values?
I generally only download from private trackers.
I guess this is a recurring question but I can't find any updated information on it.
Thanks in advance.
dawsonkm

Re: Optimize settings

Post by dawsonkm »

Hopefully someone else will chime in but this what I do. I only download from private trackers too.
You want to make sure that the correct port is forwarded from the router to qbittorrent so you are connectible.

I have global maximum number set to 150
Maximum number of connections per torrent 25
Global upload slots 20
Max number upload slots per torrent 5

I use these just to limit the number of connections cause I can imagine trying to upload more than 20 torrents at time is very effective.

Hope this helps.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Uncapping / using super high connection numbers will only put more stress on your router, gateway, network equipment. This can result in slowdowns, router restart/crash. Basically it does more harm than good. Nothing permanent just meaning it's pointless.

Honestly, I've been using the default settings on both 10gbps and 1-2gbps connections and it's been always maxed out. Obviously if you have to seed like 50,000 peers like back with What.cd (rest in pepperoni) then you may need to raise your connection count. But since What.CD went down, I have not seen any other tracker that required so many connections for minor seeding speeds. I remember on that tracker, people had to run like tens of thousands of torrents, and each torrent was only seeding with like teeny-tiny speeds. But yeah, any other tracker, you just set up RSS and race to build a buffer (should you have to do that). For the long-term, the default settings are totally fine to seed, to keep alive the torrents.
rafi

Post by rafi »

> Maximum number of connections per torrent 25
This is too small. Make it 150 and test with a ubuntu test-torrent.