How to migrate everything to a new drive?

Windows specific questions, problems.
JohnT

How to migrate everything to a new drive?

Post by JohnT »

I've just installed a new drive and need to move everything to a new drive with a new drive letter. I have a couple of terabytes of shared torrents, most of which are only partially downloaded.

Is there a way to do this that actually works? In the past, I've ended up with broken torrents and don't want that to happen agani!
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to migrate everything to a new drive?

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

There a couple of topics about such. I didn't mention you storage configuration: a single disk or OS disk+DATA disk (So 2 drives letters)

Considering the second option, a data disk swap, my personal preferences goes for a copy to the new drive and a drive letter swap. All these operations with QBT not running if course. If all data are copied with the same path, QBT should even not notice it.

My steps:
- in QBT pause all torrents (will avoid d/l if anything goes wrong)
- stop QBT, check the process is well not running
- copy data and keep the exact same folder structure
- swap old and new Data disk drive letter
- start QBT, resume a first torrent, see if it automagically worked

If you have a single drive letter, all on the C: for exemple, you will have to select the torrents and move them. More difficult if you have your torrents in multiple folder but it's only time, not skills.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Thanks for your reply. I'm already getting a little confused so let me try to answer your question...

The qBittorrent program files are on my system (C:) drive in 'Program Files' - that is NOT changing and never will!

The only thing which is changing is the folder where I keep all my torrents - they're all together in one place on a single drive partition, which was Q: but will now be T:. (Completed torrents are in the same place in a subfolder named "! Completed").

Just to explain why I'm migrating the files to a new drive (since other people don't seem to need to do this!) - I keep all my data on about 15 partitions in total, across 6 drives, about 42 TB total. When I run out of room and add a new drive (every year or two), I always re-allocate the partitions to best suit my data/space. This means that drive letters get changed so that they run in the most logical order, ideally with a drive letter that vaguely matches the content - for a white I was using 'Q:' for qBit, but now I'll be using 'T:' for torrents.)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

As a test, I tried pausing one of my torrent files, moving it to the new destination, then using "Set location..." to specify the new location and unpausing it.

The results was it started re-downloading the torrent from scratch!

Good job I didn't do this with terabytes of files!
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

So to resume shortly:
- application installed on the C: drive, will not move
- all torrents located on the Q: drive.

If you intend to use a new disk with T:, well you will have to move all the torrents by the "set location..." contextual menu of each torrent. The procedure us used is wrong and mixed what I stated, reason of your problem. I may be confusing and I'll try to summarize

#Option 1, manually migrate torrents from Q: to T:
This is not my favourite option because a lot of work is necessary, but it's up to you to decide :). For this option you need to use QBT ONLY and no file move through a file manager or command line under the OS. The "Set location..." in QBT will move the file from Q: to T: and update QBT with the new location. There is even no pause needed, select a running torrent and click on "Set location...", that is.
If you have any doubt pause it first, move it with "Set location...", do a force recheck and if the output is "complete", resume it.

#Option 2, swap the drive letter
Here you can use the steps I gave, and you have to copy (file manager or CLI) to new disk. The goal is to "fool" QBT. You copy the content of Q: to T: with permission/folder structure then your change the T: to Q: . When QBT will start, il will check for content on Q: and that fine.

I do the option 2 most of the time if the number of torrents is high but option 1 works too of course.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Thanks Unseen, but this doesn't work for me!

I pause a torrent, use "Set location", force recheck. But the file does not move to the new location!

(I can't use Option 2 because the drive letter needs to be what it is.)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

SOLUTION

OK I've got the answer now! I decided to take a big risk, but it worked!

I just changed these two paths to the new locations:

Options > Downloads:
  • Default save path:
  • Keep incomplete torrents in:

That is all I needed to do! As soon as I clicked OK, the program began moving all the files (full speed). They are all working fine in the new location! :-)
laz305

Post by laz305 »

for me my external hard drive letters got changed somehow. How do I find out what drive letters they use to be? cuz I have tried changing them but still when I open qBit all files show in Error section
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

even in error if you enable the column "save path" in the interface the information will be displayed (one of the many you can add)
You will so be able to retrieve the letters
jslay

Post by jslay »

You can install Python and use my tool

https://github.com/jslay88/qbt_migrate