Change from MiB to Mb?

Windows specific questions, problems.
FC360

Change from MiB to Mb?

Post by FC360 »

Been using qbittorrent for a few days now and it's quite nice however there is 1 thing that bugs me, the fact it displays MiB in download and upload speed columns. Everywhere I look I see MB or Mb but never MiB, this is the first program that uses it which is rather off putting so I was wondering if there was a setting to change this as I do like the torrent client and don't really want to switch.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Change from MiB to Mb?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

All these signify different things. For MiB see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB

Why? It gives a more accurate description. Normally one megabyte is defined as 1024KB. However, most programs and OS's when presenting the user info they use this formula: 1MB = 1000KB. This results on loss of precision. However 1MiB = 1024KB. This way the precision is preserved.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

This shouldn't be a problem really if its MiB or MB. I don't know why you would switch to something else cause of this :P.
loki

Post by loki »

As stated previously it's actually more correct or accurate to display by MiB's (mebibyte) and Mib's (mebibit) even if it does look odd. It's all due to the difference between bits and applying metric system to it... so blame the metric system for once.